Wednesday 13 July 2011

John Guidetti 'close' to a new deal

Reports today have suggested 19 year old John Guidetti is close to signing a new contract with Manchester City.




Guidetti initially refused a new deal from City when his contract expired at the end of last season and looked set to join FC Twente with first team opportunities appearing few and far between in Manchester.

There seems to have been some confusion as to whether the Swedish U21 player had actually signed a legally binding contract with FC Twente, but they believed he would be turning up for the first training session on July 1st. He never did, and FC Twente have said they have had not further contact with Guidetti.

We've had no concrete and update news on the situation with FC Twente since then but after being taken on City's American tour, Guidetti has since said: "I don't know what's happening at the moment. I have to try to live for the moment."

"I am grateful to be here with City and keeping myself fit."


"I was told to travel with the squad and I don't know exactly how long I will be in the USA,"


"I doubt I will play a game with the team but it's always fun to be with City.


"I've been in a positive mood and I'm just focusing on my football. I really don't know what will happen and I'm not thinking too much about it."


Guidetti's agent Per Jonsson today lifted the lid a little on Guidetti's current situation by announcing: "It (a new contract with Manchester City) is very close, there's just the matter of a few details remaining,"


"Their manager, Roberto Mancini, really wants to keep him and John wants to stay and play for the club."


Good news for City as the highly rated forward is possibly the most exiting young prospect at the club at this moment in time. After being brought to the club under Sven Goran Erikkson, Guidetti has impressed all who have worked with and watched him play.


Last season he scored 20 goals for the EDS including a stunning bicycle kick against Stockport County reserves. He also made his debut for the 1st team against West Brom in the Carling Cup. Unfortunately for him it was his only appearance in the first team in a match City lost 2-1. However Guidetti did get an assist for City's only goal.




John was also loaned out to Burnley on a months loan in December 2010 scoring another goal and adding another assist in 2 starts and 3 substitute appearances. Many at Burnley wanted to keep Guidetti until the end of the season, however difficulties arose when manager Brian Laws was sacked and Manchester City decided not to accept the proposed extension to the loan.


Only time will tell how much game time Guidetti will get in the coming season if he does sign a new contract, but I'm sure I speak for the majority of City fans in saying we wish him the best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments containing abusive, foul or discriminatory language will not be published.